Thursday, November 18, 2010

So much to be thankful for

First of all, I want to do a shameless plug for my good friends over at Lectio Divina Catholic Books & Gifts in Winchester, VA.  They just recently relaunched their website, and it's much more dynamic, and they're working to get their entire inventory set up for ecommerce.  I am very humbled to have been a part of this project, and it was a great chance to use my tech savvy talents to help glorify God.  Please check them out, and give them your business.  These are good people, and having their testimony and the resources of their store available to me helped me immensely in my conversion to Catholicism. 

Yesterday we went for the ultrasound, and we saw our baby girl for the first time!  Yes, I said "girl".  The ultrasound tech was as close to 100% sure as she could be, but said to hang on the receipts just in case.  
I am so excited about being a dad, but I'm also a bit scared.  Which I guess is normal. My wife and I have made the decision that she's going to be a stay at home mom, and that comes with it's own set of worries, namely, how will we survive on one income.  I'm hoping I'll be able to find a better paying job before Meghan arrives, but it's a tough market.  Still, I believe God will provide.  Whether it's a better salary, or a revelation how to stretch my current salary to the max, He'll take care of us.  I know it. 

Though I still love St. Francis of Assisi and am glad I chose him as my confirmation saint, St. Joseph has become my secondary patron recently.  Both as a worker, hoping he'll help guide me in providing for my family, but especially as a father.  He was trusted to be the earthly father figure to Jesus Christ, so God obviously knew he could fulfill that role like no other.  I found a miniature statue of Timothy P. Schmalz's "A Quiet Moment" at the Catholic Outreach store a few weeks ago, and had to have it.  Seeing the way Joseph lovingly cradles Mary and the child Jesus in his arms with the utmost care, and the look of serenity on his face makes me want to embrace this new role more than I can describe.  

There is so much goodness in my life, I can't list it all.  As we approach Thanksgiving here in the US, take a minute to stop and think about all the good things God has given you. And take a minute to say "thank you" to the Lord.  I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

God bless you all, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: