Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why the Catholic Church?

One question I’ve heard from friends – and pondered myself a couple of times – is now that I’ve finally found my faith in God, why convert to Catholicism?  Wouldn’t I be just as happy in a Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, or some other denomination of Christianity?  The simple answer is no, I wouldn’t. 

I’ve been there before.  Granted, I haven’t tried every branch of Christianity out there,  But none of them quite range true with me.  I’d go to various churches, and never particularly enjoy it, no matter how much I tried.  And I’m not putting down any of those other branches, or anyone who follows them – they just didn’t work for me.

Basically, I feel like my faith has been a huge jigsaw puzzle.  Trying to work in before, in these churches that follow only the Bible, I only had maybe a third of the pieces.  But with Catholicism being so deeply rooted in the traditions that Jesus Christ and his Apostles began when they founded the church, I feel like I have most of the pieces now.  The rest are being filled in by my own belief and relationship with God, and that’s growing stronger every week.

No comments: