Thursday, December 17, 2009

What a year this has been!

Hello to whomever stumbles across this blog!  It's been a while since I've posted.  It's been a combination of several factors.  Number one, I've been VERY busy with work, church, and family functions.  Second, I thought I didn't really have anything significant to post, but I've been doing some thinking, and I realized I'm wrong - I've got lots of WONDERFUL news to share!

This is, of course, a wondeful time of the year.  The Christmas season has always been something I've looked forward to, but I can honestly say this is the first time I've TRULY appreciated what it means, and that makes it even more excited about it.  Now, I know that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, and that we don't know the exact date.  But that's an entirely moot point.

Christmas is about several things to me this year.  First of all, it's about saying "yes" to God when he calls on us.  The Blessed Virgin Mary shows us this.  When the Lord called upon her to be the vessel of the new covenant, she said "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38).  Now, we all have free will, and Mary could have said "no".  But fortunately for us, she didn't.  It makes so much sense to me that the Church honors and venerates Mary for the role she plays in our salvation.  It all began with a simple yes or no... and Our Lady said "yes".

Second, it's about new beginnings.  Humanity was on such a downward spiral when God decided it was time to redeem the world.  Our loving and merciful Father gave us a clear cut path to salvation in His Son, Jesus Christ.  I can only imagine what it was like to be alive at the time Christ was born into this world.  To be one of the shepherds, being told of the birth of a child that was going to change everything.  Can you even fathom how amazing that must have been?  Well, here's the good news - you don't have to!  It's happening now, and it's happening every day.  Each day with Jesus is a new beginning.  Each day, I know that when I feel like I can't endure any more, all I have to do is turn to Him, and ask for His help, and He will lift me up.  I don't need to worry about what happened yesterday, or what will come tomorrow, because today, I walk with the Lord.

Finally, it's about true love.  The love of Christ is easily the most powerful force in the universe.  His love is so amazing, and there's no end to it.  But I've FINALLY realized, it's great that He loves me, but I need to love him back!  I need to love all my brothers and sisters, because that's what Christ wants.  He doesn't need or want anything else.  He wants me to not just TELL people that I love Him, but SHOW them as well.  How can we do that?  Well, lots of ways.  Donate your time or money to a charity.  Visit the sick or the elderly.  Help someone less fortunate than yourself.  Take time to listen to someone else's problems.  Remember, "whatever you do for the least of my brothers, you do unto me."  That's become my mantra as of late.  I want to do nothing but good for our Lord, and be a true ambassador of his Love.

So, in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what day Jesus was born?  No, it doesn't.  All that matters is that he was born, he lived, he taught, he died for us, he rose from the dead, he's still with us, and he'd never, ever leave us.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and God bless!

No comments: